Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Flutter Mill



I have not been able to think up another project to work on, and to
keep from going nuts from boredom in the mean time, I made a Pantanenome
(pan-ta-nen-o-mee). I do not know why they call them that, the word is
not even in the dictionary. It means "all winds", and is supposed to
spin no matter what the direction of the wind. I tested it during
construction, and it does. It was mounted on top of the 6 foot chain link
fence that runs across the back yard separating us from the school yard.
In my research it appears that Pantanenomes originated in France, and maybe
that is why the word is not listed in an English dictionary. The inventor claims that
they will turn by wind from any direction, except perpendicular to the axis, however
that is true of most any propeller type wind mill, and all of them are more efficient
when oriented properly into the wind.
It is kind of fun to build replicas of wacky old inventions.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for this. I know this is an old post but it gives me the very information I am looking for. I am wondering if I can make a pantaneome from clay/ceramic; now that I know what one is. I think I'll try an old CD and wood block first. Thanks to you I have some idea of what it moves like.